Drinks for the Christmas table
While glögg is without a doubt the most popular Nordic Christmas drink, aquavit holds a special place in the hearts of Scandinavians. Aquavit, derived from the Latin word aqua vitae (‘water of life’), pairs well with typically heavy Christmas meals but if it’s not your cup of tea, fear not. Read along to find many drink recommendations and food and cocktail recipes for every part of your dinner menu – from aperitifs to digestifs and everything in between.
Start your dinner party in style
Never underestimate a good aperitif! Stimulate the appetite with a fizzy or slightly tart drink and some light appetizers. Grab our recommendations and cocktail tips below.
- Koskenkorva Lemon 21% 50 clFresh kick of real lemons with less sugar.11.90€
- -16 %True Colours Cava Brut 12% 75 clMore than a Cava in a striking bottle.Special Price 9.99€ Regular Price 11.90€
- Skagerrak Nordic Dry Gin 44,9% 70 clClassic Dry Gin with a Nordic twist.25.90€
- Blossa Sparkling & Spices Citrus 10% 75 clFresh & fruity combination of glögg spices and sparkling wine7.99€
Move over Aperol Spritz! Lemon Spritz is a refreshing and lightly tangy cocktail that’s easy to make.
Negroni is an iconic aperitif that gets a Nordic twist in this tasty cocktail.
Pair drinks with Christmas food like a pro
Aquavit is a common sight in the Scandinavian Christmas tables as the unique aromas in the spiced spirits enhance and strengthen the flavors of the food they are combined with. The obvious combination is aquavit and seafood but aquavit spices such as cumin, citrus, dried fruits also marry well with a wide range of dishes from ham to sweet desserts.
- Linie Aquavit Original 41,5% 70 clSmooth and well-balanced Norwegian cask matured aquavit.18.90€
- Aalborg Jubileums Akvavit 40% 70 clGolden and smooth aquavit that goes well with many dishes.16.99€
- O.P. Anderson Klar Aquavit 40% 70 clA fresh and spicy aquavit, seasoned to fit particularly well with fish and sellfish.15.99€
- Svenska Nubbar 39% 10 x 5 clA perfect starters' pack to aquavit!16.90€
Want to learn more about pairing aquavit with Christmas food?
Read our schnapps guide on matching food and drinks on the Christmas table.
Satisfy your sweet tooth
No dinner party is complete without a tasty dessert. Did you know that glögg can also be used in baking? Give it a try with these delicious recipes.
Italy’s gift to dessert lovers across the world gets a tasty twist with Glubbel Sparkling Glühwein. This dessert is a beautiful addition to any Christmas table.
Blossa Chief Blender Åsa Orsvärn’s favorite dessert recipe! These brownies made with Blossa Vinglögg and cranberries practically melt in your mouth.
Sip on these digestifs after a big meal
Did you even have a Christmas dinner without feeling completely full afterwards, we think not. Stimulate digestion with these nightcaps.
- Koskenkorva Oaky Cranberry 21% 50 clCranberry liqueur with a nice, oaky touch.12.90€
- Larsen Aqua Ignis 42,3% 70 clThe first cognac in the world aged in steam-toasted barrels.42.00€
- Bäska Droppar 40% 50 clA flavored spirit that challenges the taste buds a little extra.15.90€
- Valhalla Herb Shot 35% 70 clThe popular herb shot from the North16.90€